What is virtual voicemail?
Virtual voicemail refers to a collection of features offered by cloud-based phone systems. Essentially, virtual voicemail services store your messages online so they’re easily accessible from anywhere. Instead of always having to dial your voicemail phone number to retrieve your messages, you can simply listen to them from a web app or get them as attachments in your email.
Managing voicemail boxes for your team is also much easier. Because a virtual phone system is hosted in the cloud, you can quickly customize your voicemail delivery options, record professional greetings for callers and set up new voicemail boxes for every extension – all through a central online portal.
Setting up virtual voicemail for your business gives you the freedom to work wherever you need – and stay connected.
The advantages of virtual voicemail for businesses
Traditional voicemail systems can’t compare to the benefits of virtual voicemail.
You no longer need your work phone at hand to access your voice messages. Right when a caller leaves a voicemail, you can check it whichever way is most convenient for you: online, in your email or even by calling from another phone.
Sure, an automated voicemail message may do the job, but it doesn’t do it well. Make a great impression on callers by recording a professional, personalized greeting. You can easily upload multiple recordings for different teams or numbers.
Calling your voicemail phone number and waiting for the prompts to finish before you even hear your first message is not an ideal experience. Virtual voicemail ditches the delays by letting you hear voicemails in just a click.
Simpler to manage
As your business grows, virtual voicemail makes it easier to scale without creating headaches for IT. The best virtual phone systems offer streamlined, centralized portals so you can quickly change your voicemail settings across the business.
Why choose GoToConnect?
AffordableFor one all-inclusive price, GoToConnect offers over 100 business phone system features to help you communicate more effectively. We don't nickel and dime – you get all the power of GoToConnect for a single cost.
ReliableOur VoIP business phone system is among the best reviewed and highest rated. And with a history of 99.99% uptime for VoIP, GoToConnect is as dependable as they come. GoToConnect is also backed by LogMeIn, one of the world’s top 10 public SaaS companies.
ScalableWith GoToConnect, you have a single pane of glass to make changes to your VoIP phone system on the fly. Our management portal also gives you the insights and analytics to see how your employees are communicating and collaborating.
Voicemail to email
Custom voicemail greetings
All the virtual voicemail features you could ask for and more
Unlimited voicemail boxesSet up a new voicemail inbox for any number of extensions you create.
Shared voicemail boxesEnable a department or team to share a voicemail box with a single password.
Cloud storageKeep your voice messages in the cloud for easy access and management.
Provide callers with automated answering and call routing without live assistance.
Visual dial plan editor
Easily map out each new extension so it automatically rolls over to the next line.
Mobile accessibilityCheck your voicemail easily on the go with our app for iOS and Android.
Voicemail for ring groups
How to set up a voicemail box for business
GoToConnect makes business voicemail easy to set up and manage. You can access your voicemail settings by making phone calls. Or, you can save time by doing it all online:
- Open GoToConnect and click Lines in the left sidebar.
- Choose the line whose voicemail you’d like to set up.
- Configure the settings using the Voicemail tab.
- Click Save.
- That’s it! Your new voicemail inbox is ready to go.
Changing your voicemail password
Forgot your voicemail password for GoToConnect? If you haven’t changed your voicemail password before, the default is 0000. Otherwise, follow these simple steps:
- Press the voicemail button on your phone or dial *98/*99.
- Press 0 for Mailbox Options and then press 5 to change the password.
- Enter your new password of at least four digits and then press #.
- Re-enter the new password and then press #.
- That’s it! Your new password is set.
Virtual Voicemail Frequently Asked Questions
- Sign in to GoToConnect and click the cog wheel icon in the left sidebar. Then choose Settings.
- Under Voicemail, check Enable voicemail-to-email notifications and put in your email address.
- Turn on Email voicemail recordings and select the file format (.wav49 is recommended for its smaller file size).
Tired of having an automated message for your voicemail? We don’t blame you. Here’s how to personalize your voicemail greeting in GoToConnect:
- Access the voicemail menu by dialing *99 or pressing the voicemail button on your phone.
- Press 0 for a list of mailbox options.
- Press the number for the message type you want to record.
- Press 1 to record an unavailable message.
- Press 2 to record a busy message.
- Press 3 to record a name that is followed by an automated message.
- Press 4 to record a temporary message.
- Follow the voice prompts to review and accept your recording.
GoToConnect offers six convenient options for accessing your voicemail from anywhere:
- Call voicemail from your own internal phone by pressing *99 (or the voicemail button).
- Dial in from another internal office phone with *98 and then enter your extension.
- Make a phone call to your extension from an outside line and press * when your voicemail greeting plays.
- Access your voice messages online from the GoToConnect user portal.
- Enable the voicemail to email feature to get your messages as file attachments.
- Download the iOS or Android app to quickly check voicemails on your smartphone.
We do! GoToConnect allows you to see and select which voicemail to listen to from the online portal or mobile app. It can save you time by allowing you to play just the message you want to hear – no need to wait through voice-menu prompts or old messages.
If you’re looking for voicemail transcription (where you get a text copy of the voice message in an email or text), the feature is not yet available for GoToConnect. In the meantime, you can get voicemail transcription on Grasshopper, our virtual phone system offering for small businesses.