How to create and host a webinar
Watch how to schedule and host a webinar
Webinars make communication with prospects, employees, partners and customers easy and efficient. You can give presentations, perform product demonstrations and deliver world-wide messages to thousands of people at a time. And if you create webinar content that is informative and memorable, you’ll get great results. Follow the best practices below on how to create a webinar to resonate with your audience.
How to create great webinars, step-by-step
If you’re ready to start your first webinar then follow these steps to make sure everything is prepped to go without a hitch.
Step 1. Choose your webinar topic
Step 2. Choose a date and time
Step 3. Customize your branding
Step 4. Create a hashtag for your webinar
Step 5. Send out your webinar invitations
Step 6. Build webinar content
Step 7. Do a practice run
Step 8. Host your webinar
Step 9. Follow up
Step 10. Make your webinar recording available
What are the benefits of hosting a webinar?
Knowing how to do a webinar is one thing, and knowing why you should is another.
Reach and qualify more prospects, more often.
- With just a few simple steps, webinars can help you generate more qualified leads in your target market than you would get through other channels.
Build greater brand awareness.
- Showcase your products and business through online events where you can easily engage your audience and drum up interest.
Present to more people in less time.
- You can have up to 3,000 people attend your events with GoToWebinar. This helps you effectively share your message to a wider audience.
Conduct cost-effective employee meetings.
- Webinars work great for internal presentations, too. Even if you have offices all over the country, they can get the same presentation in real time.
Reach and qualify more prospects, more often.
- When you know how to host a webinar, you no longer have to gather everyone in one physical location for presentations, which cuts down on travel costs and helps the environment.
Engage audiences with HD video.
- Even the best message can get muddled if the video quality is poor. GoToWebinar allows up to six presenters to jump on HD webcams for better engagement.
Expand reach with reusable content.
- Record your webinar and use it afterward as a gated asset to drive additional leads. GoToWebinar captures your screen, audio and webcams.
Streamline your marketing processes.
- Integrate GoToWebinar with your customer relationship management (CRM) solution to manage your lead generation and event creation in one place.
Easy, engaging webinars with GoToWebinar
GoToWebinar offers a full suite of webinar features to ensure that you get the most out of your webinars.
Email automationCreate custom email invitations, confirmations and reminders – or let GoToWebinar handle it with automated email templates.
Custom brandingDisplay your company logo and upload a custom image on all webinar materials to reinforce and promote your business brand.
Videos and handoutsShow high-quality videos and share valuable content to build excitement and keep your brand top of mind.
Webinar recordingExpand your reach by recording your webinar to share with absent attendees or publish on a video-sharing platform.
Reporting and analyticsGet the data you need to identify qualified leads and track which channels drive the most registrations.
How to create a webinar in GoToWebinar
If you’re ready to begin, follow these steps to schedule your first online event in GoToWebinar.
- Sign in to GoToWebinar. Don’t have an account? Start a free trial.
- Click the Schedule a Webinar button.
- Specify the details of your webinar. This includes the title and description of the webinar as well as the session type, date, time and time zone.
- Click Schedule when you’re finished.
- On the Manage Webinar page, customize your webinar settings by clicking edit next to the section you’d like to change.
- Set up reminder emails by clicking edit right beside the Reminder Email setting.
Four tips for hosting a successful webinar
Sometimes the unexpected can happen, even when you know the ins and outs of how to conduct a webinar. While you can’t always be fully prepared, here are several tips that will not only help your webinar be successful but make it engaging and informative for everyone.
Promote your webinar early and often.
- When promoting, it’s best to start at least a month in advance. But put in extra effort at the end! The majority of registrations occur in the last week.
Add presenter bios to the registration page.
- People join webinars to hear thought leaders speak. Add social authority to your landing pages by featuring the speakers’ photos and bios.
Create polls to get attendees involved.
- Polls are an awesome opportunity to engage your audience. They’re also a valuable source of feedback and audience insights.
Connect to the Internet by cable.
- Since Wi-Fi can be spotty at times, make sure your computer is connected to your router by a cable. This will keep your broadcast smooth.
Scheduling pre-recorded webinars
Once you know how to set up a live webinar, take advantage of other useful features in GoToWebinar like Simulated Live.
Simulated Live simplifies the webinar experience by automating the entire event. Your webinars can run themselves without you even having to be there!
Reuse your recordings
To use Simulated Live, just select Simulated Live when you schedule a webinar in GoToWebinar. Pick the recording you want to use, schedule it to auto-play (or make it available on demand) and then sit back and relax.
Get answers to all of your webinar questions
1. In Settings under the Recording drop-down menu, choose where recordings are saved. Select the “My Recordings” option to automatically save your recordings to your online account in the My Recordings page. Select the “my computer only” option if you prefer to save your recorded sessions on your local hard drive.
2. Check the “Show webcams in recordings” box if you’d like to capture the shared webcams in addition to the shared content and audio. Note that this option is only available for online recordings and increases the file size.
● Enable auto-record within your GoToWebinar settings.
● Click Start Recording (Windows) or Record (Mac) at the bottom of the Screen Sharing pane during your live webinar.
To pre-record a webinar with GoToWebinar, you can use Recorded (formerly called “Simulated Live”) webinars. First, host a Classic or Webcast webinar and record like you were presenting live (you don’t need to have anyone in attendance). Then schedule a new webinar and select Recorded as the webinar type. Choose the recording you just created, select a date and click Schedule Now. You can even incorporate polls, add handouts and configure Q&A settings to make it feel as vibrant as a live event!.
If you want to record what you share on screen during a GoToWebinar session, simply click Start Recording (Windows) or Record (Mac) at the bottom of the Screen Sharing pane.
If you would like to record your presenters’ webcam , select the “Show webcams in the recordings” box within your GoToWebinar settings. And finally, if you want to capture the video clips that you share live during your event, make sure that the video you upload ahead of time is an MP4 file. Any YouTube video you add will be cut from the recording.
Talk to a specialist
Speak directly to one of our sales representatives by calling.
Have questions? Want to see a live demo? We'll be in touch within 24 hours.
Check out our help center for answers to common questions.