- One egg
- A tall drinking glass
- Pour water into the glass until it is about half full
- Stir in 6 tablespoons of salt
- Carefully pour in plain water until the glass is nearly full (note: pour in gently to avoid mixing the salt water with the plain water)
- Gently lower the egg into the water and watch what happens
- Salt water is denser than ordinary water
- The denser the liquid the easier it is for an object to float in
- When you lower the egg into the liquid it drops through the normal tap water until it reaches the salty water which is dense enough so that the egg floats.
Science Kids is the home of science & technology on the Internet for children around the world. Learn more about the amazing world of science by enjoying our fun ...
For more science experiments for kids, please visit http://coolkidsscience.com.
Have a comment or suggestion?